Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Memories of Mano Shimai (Donna Pratt Garrison, mission companion)

I would like to thank Sister Garrison for sending this to me so that I could share it on the blog.  I love seeing these pictures, and hearing first hand about our grandma as a missionary.  Thank you!  ~Joy

Memories of Mano Shimai

Having Mano Shimai in our mission was a pure treat for all of the sisters! She was always so upbeat and positive and fun to be around. It didn’t hurt that she spoke AND could read Japanese either! That was so helpful to us as we looked up addresses and tried to ride the trains and the buses. I had the privilege of serving twice with Mano Shimai. She was in Shizuoka with us and then again in Fukui, that is when I had her all to myself!

In Shizuoka, she was companions to Kato Shimai and in that particular apartment; there were two sets of sisters. I was companions with Sister Holt at the time. It was there in Shizuoka that we taught her how to ride a bike! We would get up ½ hour before we had to get up and get her out and practice. First we had some training wheels on the bike for her, and then we took them off. At first it was very painful for us to watch her as she did take a couple of falls! But, she never gave up and before we knew it, she was riding that bike with all of us 21 year old sisters and the 19 year old elders and keeping up. By the time I was companions with her in Tsu, she was amazing on that bike!

Serving with her in Tsu was quite a treat. The choros loved having her in the area too, as she helped with fellowshipping and again with the reading and speaking of the Japanese language. She was a great cook too! Having her all to myself, really got me spoiled, as she just cooked like it was second nature to her . She really was an amazing woman and always so happy. She had a special connection with the member in the branches, I am sure that she was remembered there long after she left.
I feel so blessed to have known Mano Shimai! It took a lot of courage for her to come on a proselyting mission at her age. She didn’t let anything keep her down and all the missionaries in the mission dearly loved her.


Elder Hyer, Swalberg, Carlson, Solroyd and Mano Shimai and myself...Pratt Shimai.  This is in Fukui
This is in Shizuoka, me, Mano Shimai and Kato Shimai
Again in Shizuoka...Holt Shimai, Mano Shimai and Kato Shimai
The Fukui bunch:  Oldroyd, Hyre, Swalberg, Mano and Carlson
I think that is the day I left....she was my last companion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment