Saturday, July 23, 2011

My first two babies (Dictated by Michi to Joy)


My husband had a produce market in Hollywood, California with his cousin Teijiro Mano. Teijiro Mano went back to Japan when Ken (our first son) was about a month old. Teijiro had a wife and family in Japan

Our first baby was born in 1938 and we were very happy. My husband was a hard working man and got up early in the morning to go to the whole sale market to buy his produce. He worked at the market until it closed at 10 pm.

After we were married, I helped at the market until my baby was born, then I stayed home. Our first child was a boy, and we named him Kenneth. He was a healthy baby. Our second child was born on in 1940. She was a girl and we named her Irene. She was a cute baby. Both of our children were born at home under the care of a midwife. When our first baby was to be born, I called the midwife and told her that I thought I was going to have the baby. She said that the first baby usually took longer, so about a half an hour later she came and was surprised that the baby was almost born. When I had my next baby, she was there as soon as I called her, but the baby didn’t come out that fast, so the midwife had to wait a while.

I had a nice aunt, Mrs. Kawana, who lived not too far away. She helped take care of the baby and me for a while, which was a big help to me. My husband was not home with either of the babies, and was just surprised when he came home.

No comments:

Post a Comment