Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Getting my Temple Recommend (Dictated by Michi to Joy)

When Floyd and Irene were getting married in 1962, I really wanted to go to the Temple with them.  I didn’t think I would be able to go because I did not have a temple recommend.  I guess it was long before they were getting married that I decided to see if I could get a temple recommend and go to the Temple with them.  I went and talked to my bishop, bishop Clarence Samuelson and my stake president, President Henry Peterson.  They both said that the only way I could get a temple recommend was if my husband, Eisaku Mano, would get baptized.  I gave up because I didn’t think there was any way that he would get baptized.

My son Kenneth came back from his mission not long before this happened.  He talked to his dad about my wanting to go with Floyd and Irene to the Temple to see them get married and that I couldn’t go unless he got baptized.

A miracle happened and Eisaku told Ken “If that’s what she wants, I will get baptized.”  I guess that is not a good reason to get baptized, but both my bishop and stake president said, “he is a good man and will be a good member.”  They said it was OK, so he got baptized on September 2, 1962 and I got my temple recommend on September 3, 1962.

Floyd and Irene got married in the Logan Temple because the Salt Lake Temple was closed at the time.  Logan was far, so we had to leave early in the morning.  We were surprised when Floyd’s father and mother, Shigenobu, and Kusa Mori, came so early in the morning and we were not ready.  Irene and I got our own endowment that day, and Floyd and Irene got married the same day.  On the way home from the temple, someone (I think it was Floyd’s father) had car trouble.  We were really late coming back to Salt Lake City, and we barely made it to the wedding breakfast, and some people missed it.  The reception was held at the Ladies Literary in Salt Lake City.

Because I had my temple recommend I was able to attend all my children’s temple marriages and attended all my grandchildren’s temple marriages too.  I am grateful to my husband for that.  Because he was sick he never went to church, but he lived a Mormon life before he died.  He was a good man.
I am happy that I was able to get my temple recommend and that I was able to attend all my children’s weddings.

No comments:

Post a Comment