After my father came to live with us, my father wanted us to call the Takemori’s from Idaho. This was a small farm, and we knew we couldn’t’ make a go with it with two families, but we called them. The house wasn’t that big and we had trouble all the time, so we finally decided to move away from Rockport. The summer in Rockport was very nice but the winter was long, too long. There were ticks and with the well water, we had to get shots for the children every spring, and I didn’t like it.
My brother Noboru stayed with us off and on. Before we moved away from Rockport, I had another baby in 1944 at the Coalville hospital. Although I was pregnant I worked hard all summer but that day I didn’t feel good and knew my baby was going to be born that day. Towards the evening, I called my husband to have him take me to the hospital. He just came back from the field and said he was awfully hungry and had to eat first. I remember I had noodles for him to eat.
We had a dear friend, a neighbor Mrs. Lorea Brown and she came over and was with us at the time and when my husband said he had to eat first, that made her real nervous and she said “isn’t that just like a man.” After he ate, we got in the truck and drove 12 miles to the Coalville hospital. The rough ride on the truck must have not helped at all because as soon as we got to the hospital and Dr. Oldham was washing his hands, we heard a noise and when the doctor looked, the baby was out. The doctor and nurse looked at each other and started to laugh. I always had easy deliveries. The baby was a girl and we named her Sharon. Mrs. Brown wanted her named Sharon. She had dark black hair and at the hospital people asked to see the Japanese baby with the dark black hair. She was very popular.
When we came home, one of the children had chicken pox, so we had to keep the baby away from them for a month and the older children were very unhappy because they wanted to hold her.
No comments:
Post a Comment