After the first year of farming, the Kuramada’s let us farm by ourselves, and we wereon our own. People used to tell us that the Kurumada’s are not to be trusted, but they were very good to us, and helped us a lot.
The Kurumada’s are very old friend of my family. When my mother, Masa Morio died on May 7, 1922 she left behind 6 children. My brother Henry was 5 years old, and Noboru was only 3 years old and after mother died, they played quite well in the day time, but when it got dark, they started to cry and cry for their mother. Soon after mother died, I think we stayed with the Kurumada’s and Mrs. Kurumada’s sister, the Sato’s. Our sister, Sachie who was born the same day our mother died, was being taken care of by my mother’s sister, Chiyo Sakuma until the Shiki’s decided to adopt her.
My mother’s family in Japan had lots of brothers, but she had only one sister. When I met my Aunt Chiyo Sakuma in Japan many years later, she told me that she wanted to go to Utah, and not too long after that before she could enjoy being with her sister, she died and they really didn’t have time to enjoy each other and she was very sad. I wish I could feel close to my sisters like that, but being raised separately like we did, didn’t help at all, but I feel very close to my brother Noboru, and if my brother Henry was alive, it would have been fun, because Henry went to Japan with me and we were close. Anyway, the first year at Rockport, Utah was share cropping with the Kurumada’s and they taught us how to farm and to sell our produce.
No comments:
Post a Comment