Hear stories about Grandma Mano's life, and share your own stories with all of us! Send stories and pictures to grandma@abitofjoy.com to have them posted.
Sunday, May 19, 2013
Learning To Ride A Bike (1974 Mission Diary)
August 30, 1974
President and Sister Sato came back and we talked and had a light snack with them. Then President Sato had an interview with me. It seem like every missionary have to ride the bike. I wish I tried to ride the bike when the children offered to help me many years ago, but I never thought I would be using a bike, but they claim I have to learn.
September 4, 1974
This morning we went out again from 6 am to 6:30 am to practice bike riding but I didn't do too good although my legs are black and blue.
September 21, 1974
Today was a good day because I was able to ride the bike, but I still put too much in my arms, but at least I am able to ride it. I thank my Heavenly Father for the help he has offered me, but I am so scared of the traffic so I don't know when I will have the confidence to go out on the road, although I have to.
September 25, 1974
I am able to ride the bike but now I need lots of practice so If I could only go out any time early in the morning by myself and practice, I'm sure I will get better, but my companion is a person that can't get up early and she doesn't seem to give me much time to practice although she does gripe about me not being able to ride the bike. Especially when it is p-day and we have to do the grocery shopping on foot. Of course, I would be scared to ride the bike with so many things on it. I wonder if I will ever get used to it.
October 1, 1974
Today, Izaat Choro and Frehner Choro came to our apartment about 10 am and I had a mensetsu with them. I had to make a goal for the things I should do by November 1st. The goals were for me to ride the bike well in a week and to do this, we should go out and practice on my lesson plan hour every morning. Memorize Lesson Plan C & D. Pray out loud for 15 minutes every day.
October 14, 1974
We had a lovely day today weather wise, but what a day for dendo. I rode the bike when we went to dendo. I went where we had to ride the bike for 30 minutes and there was quite a few traffic, but I did pretty well. There are ditches all around this place and I guess I'm scared I might fall in or something, but I fell twice around it, once I dropped my bag but there wasn't too much water so it was ok, but my basket came off so Kato Shimai had to carry my bag on her shoulder.
We were going to go house to house but I fell and dropped my white sweater and bag so we had to come back and wash my sweater and take a shower. This bike riding is hard for me but it is hard for Kato Shimai. I hope I will get better soon so I won't have to worry too many people.
October 17, 1974
I am riding the bike pretty good now. I am so happy to be in Tsu - my companion is wonderful, I am riding the bike all over now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment