Grandma was always great at remembering what everyone's favorite foods were. Once she knew what your favorite food was, she would make it every time you came over to eat. Hence, you had to be careful with what your "favorite food" was.
Like Auntie Carolyn's video said, grandma always made yokan for Uncle Ken.
My favorite was her green beans. Luckily I was smart, and really chose my favorite food as my favorite.
She would always make rice balls with pickles and yakisoba for Sandi's family.
What did she make for you? And was it really your favorite?
I don't know who really reads this, but if you are reading it, please respond, it would be fun to hear your responses.
I had two favorites. One is the green beans with the black sesame seeds - maybe the same as yours? My other favorite was what I called "chicken coop soup" - that really watery cabbage and bacon soup with a bit of shoyu in it. I would ask Grandma to make it and she thought it was funny that I like it because when they were so poor and lived in the chicken coop, that's all they could afford to eat.
ReplyDeleteYep, those are the green beans. YUMMY!
ReplyDelete