Monday, July 29, 2013

Grandma's Quilt (Tisha)

Last weekend I displayed grandma's quilt at our Tri-Stake Pioneer Day Celebration. Here is a picture and a page I wrote up to display with the quilt. (I know that there's probably not 47 great grand children, I didn't know and didn't have time to figure it out so I just made it up.)



Quilt Submitted By: Tisha Woolf Acacia Ward, Black Mountain Stake 


This quilt was primarily made by my grandmother, Michi Morio Mano, with the help of Linda Mano. Some painting and stitching was completed by myself and several other family members. The Japanese dolls were hand painted and all of the decorative stitching was quilted by hand.

Michi was a pioneer in many ways. She was a first generation Japanese American. During World War II, she “voluntarily evacuated” her family from California to Utah in order to avoid being forced into a relocation camp. Here their first home was a friend’s chicken coop. My grandmother and her children were the first members of our family to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She is an example of faith, service and diligence to her five children, 28 grandchildren and 47 great grandchildren.

Before her death in 2006, she had made hundreds of quilts including dozens just like this that were wedding gifts to all of her children and grandchildren.



No comments:

Post a Comment